When we opened registration for our virtual 2020 Liaison User Conference, the first sessions to fill were our limited-seating diversity workshops with Dr. Anthony Jack, author of The Privileged Poor, and Jeff Selingo, author of Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions.
We’re currently planning additional workshops on this topic, but in the meantime, Dr. Jack agreed to join us for a free webinar entitled Equity and Inclusion in Admissions: Evolving Enrollment to Better Reflect Our Communities.
During the session, Dr. Jack shared his insights into what institutions can do to create a more diverse and inclusive experience for students.
Among other topics, the discussion covered:
- Recent trends in higher education around diversity.
- How the “Doubly Disadvantaged” fare in our current admissions landscape.
- The opportunities for admissions officers, in their roles as gatekeepers, to create equitable systems that will set the tone for students’ academic careers.
- How to view admissions processes, messaging and decision-making in a new light.
- Actionable steps to increase diversity at your school.